Some call it Puppy Chow, others call it Muddy Buddies. Whatever the name (I prefer Puppy Chow), they are both referring to the same delicious chocolate and peanut butter treat we all love. However, while the classic recipe has great flavors, it is visually boring and doesn’t look as yummy as it tastes! I decided to fix this by creating today’s recipe, which has the classic flavors of Puppy Chow, with a new colorful look that I’m referring to as Unicorn Puppy Chow. When I think of unicorns, I think about rainbows, glitter, happiness, and all things magical. Just like unicorns, this recipe is colorful, makes me happy to eat, and even has unicorn horns! These treats are both delicious and so pretty that you won’t be able to put them down!
To start, I like to prepare all of the colored powdered sugar before moving forward with the rest of the ingredients. I chose to make pink, blue, green, and yellow Unicorn Puppy Chow (mainly because those were the four colors of food coloring I had on hand), but you can make any color combination that works for you. Using a food processor, mix the powdered sugar on high and slowly add in the first food color. The key for this step is to be patient because the food coloring doesn’t show up right away and takes time to combine. Depending on the color, I use anywhere between fifteen to thirty drops per color, mixing for at least four minutes for the color to truly show.
Once you reach a desired color, spread the colored powdered sugar mixture out onto a non-stick baking sheet and bake in the oven at 150°F for five minutes (or until the mixture is dry). The food coloring adds some moisture to the powdered sugar, so it is important to dry it out so that it will stick to the coated Rice Chex later on. Once dry, pour the powdered sugar into a plastic re-sealable bag and set aside. Repeat these steps for each color, making sure to thoroughly clean out and dry the food processor between each new mixture.
Now that all the colored powdered sugar is prepared, it’s time to coat the Rice Chex with chocolate and peanut butter. Since this recipe has multiple colors, I found it is easier to do these next steps in batches per color, instead of making one large batch and trying to evenly portion it out for each color.
Pour two cups of the Rice Chex into a medium sized mixing bowl and set aside for later. Using a microwave safe bowl, heat the butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter on high for one minute and then stir until smooth. Pour the melted ingredients over the Rice Chex and stir until coated. It is important to make sure each piece of cereal is covered with the mixture in order for the powdered sugar to stick. Next, pour the mixture into one of the colored powdered sugar bags, seal, and shake until all the Rice Chex are covered in powdered sugar. Finally, spread the coated cereal onto a wax paper lined baking sheet and place in the refrigerator to cool. Repeat these steps for each color of powdered sugar until complete.
To give this treat the true meaning to its name, it’s time to make some unicorn horns! Before beginning, line a baking sheet or plate with wax paper. Next, using a microwave safe bowl, heat the butter and white chocolate chips on high for one minute and then stir until smooth. Carefully dip a Bugle into the melted chocolate, making sure to coat all sides, and top with sprinkles. Set the complete unicorn horn onto the wax paper and repeat these steps until the desired amount of unicorn horns are made.
Once all unicorn horns and coated Rice Chex have cooled, mix them all together in a large bowl. I like to also add a variety of sprinkles for glitter and more color!
Unicorn Puppy Chow (aka Muddy Buddies)
Note: these measurements are per color.
- 2 cups Rice Chex
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Food coloring
- Optional: Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 150°F. Line a baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil and set aside. Line an additional baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Using a food processor, mix powdered sugar on high and slowly add drops of food coloring until desired color is formed. Spread colored powdered sugar onto the prepared baking sheet and place in oven for 3-5 minutes or until mixture is dry. Pour mixture into a plastic re-sealable bag and set aside.
- Add Rice Chex to a medium size mixing bowl and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter on high for 1 minute and stir until smooth. Carefully pour the mixture over the Rice Chex and stir until evenly coated.
- Pour coated cereal into the plastic bag with the colored powdered sugar and seal. Shake the mixture until the cereal is coated in the powdered sugar. Spread the mixture onto the wax paper lined baking sheet and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Repeat these steps for all additional colors.
- 1 cup Bugles Original
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the butter and chocolate chips on high for 1 minute and stir until smooth.
- Carefully dip each Bugle into the mixture until coated and top with sprinkles. Place on the wax paper and repeat. Place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Combine all the finished ingredients into a bowl, mix, and enjoy!